Monday, November 03, 2008

I want Peace after this Election


This Monday morning between 8:30 and 9:30 I've already had five phone calls from live campaigners. I usually take it slow on Monday morning. But everyone wants my vote!

I want peace.
I want peace (and quiet) at home. No more phone ringing, attack ads on TV and my mailbox bulging with junk.

I want peace on the streets too. I was a kid living in a small town in the 70s. I only saw riots on TV news. But I live in ATL now. There's a part of me that worries that some folks will get so mad about the outcome of this presidential race, that they will fight. Am I being dramatic? We'll have to wait 36 hours to see.

I want peace in the church. Our church has both Democrats and Republicans (shocking?) and I told everyone to vote their conscience and then obey God and pray for whoever wins, live a quiet life, pay your taxes and remember who governs you supremely is not Obama or McCain, but Christ Jesus.

Don't get all on your high horse about this political season. It is small potatoes (or more accurately a drop in the bucket according to the prophet Isaiah).

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Romans 13:1-7

Christ Jesus is our King! The next president of the United States is His servant.

Let's keep this all in perspective. And let's all keep the peace.

2 comments:

Em the luddite said...

Jim, you maintain your status as the only one whose election commentary encourages me. Thank you for this one this morning, brother!

Pastor Jim said...

Thanks Em! Your kind comments keep me going and spur me on to love and good deeds.
Love from One Heart,
BP