Thursday, January 12, 2006

People Look at Me Funny

People look at me funny… when I show them the sword I got for Christmas. It is so cool. People have been looking at me funny for years and now there is a reason! This is a real, battle-ready sword. I take it to work every day.

It reminds me that we must pray. THAT IS the battle for souls. God MUST work or we are dead!

You all are such faithful pray-ers! Thank you for your ongoing prayer support. I think the devil is still ticked that we have made it this far, but I’m sure it is because we have received your most valuable support! Keep up the good work!

Here are some items for battle:
- Satan’s resistance. The last two weeks have brought many struggles to the forefront with our young believers. Marriage struggles, talk of separation, divorce, illness, financial problems, job change, discouragement. Pray that the ENEMY will NOT have the victory! That all our people will learn to do spiritual battle daily, to repent and believe the gospel, to obey and walk in faith!

- YES! Our new assistant pastor Anthony and his family (wife Sarah and son Will, 3) move in on the 28th! It will be a HUGE help to this ministry to have a steady high S administrator and educator on staff! Pray for the continued raising of his support, safety and quick feet. He has lots to get up to speed on!

- Maturing leaders. We are adding one pt pastor (Anthony), one tent-making pastor (José) and we have 14 other volunteer leaders for various ministries. Pray for their safety and protection. Pray that they grow in faith and do not gossip. Pray that I may train and equip them well for their roles.

- Inner City church planting – pray for me and Bob Orner, another church planter who have been commissioned by our new church network to help facilitate church planter development in inner city Atlanta. We could really mess up if we are arrogant and I can be arrogant so easy. Pray for wisdom and faithfulness in building trust across old barriers.

Overall, would you pray that we are faithful in the battle?
And that I use my sword well?
Graced
Jim

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Hey cousin Jimmy,

It's actually Clint, just using my wife's blogger account as I do not have one and yours does not offer anonymous comments. Anyway, back in college I, on a whim, decided to start collecting something and thought of a sword my dad won at work and had in his office on the wall and how I loved to pick it up and "wield" it. So I thought that would be an interesting collection so I mentioned back then at the time to my girlfriend (who is now my wonderful wife) who bought me my first sword for a Christmas present. Seven or so swords later (and all gifts from family and friends) we decided to put them up in my son's rooms. (Yes we managed them being in our young son's room but now they are in storage due to our trips back and forth to Roatan). Anyway, I could never really pinpoint my interest in swords until I read Wild At Heart and his multiple mentions of Braveheart and other sword wielding movies where there is an epic adventure and a beauty to save...to be a warrior. Anyway I just wanted to relay another insight on the desire men have to "wield" a sword.

Jenny said...

Oops I should of expanded on Wild at Heart...so a little excerpt on John Eldridge's book, credit given to Amazon:

Book Description
God designed men to be dangerous, says John Eldredge. Simply look at the dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy: To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk. Sadly, most men abandon those dreams and desires-aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a "nice guy." It is no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death. In this provocative book, Eldredge gives women a look inside the true heart of a man and gives men permission to be what God designed them to be-dangerous, passionate, alive, and free.

Pastor Jim said...

Clint
Great to hear from you!
I'm honored to see your comment. As you can guess, if you ever see this, I am still learning the habit of actually reading back over comments!

I remember you and Hugh 3 shopping for swords in Gatlinburg on that family reunion back 7-8 years ago and always wished I had gotten one. And I wondered why you all had them. Now it makes sense.

PLUS we train all our men's discipleship groups with Wild at Heart by Eldredge. I think we all tapped into something good about being a man of God there.

Hope to see you sometime when you are stateside.
Graced
Jimmy